Sunday, September 12, 2010

The misadventures of a tween in the kitchen (pancakes)

Today, my daughter informed me that she would like to make us pancakes.  In an instant my mind flashed to her pouring a 2 lb bag of rice to the 2 cups of boiling water on the stove and then, another flash:

Her:  I don't GET it.
Me: What's not to get?  It's a grilled cheese.
Her: Sooo...how do I know when it's done?
Me:  The bread looks (moment of pause to bring the calm back to my voice) grilled.
Her: (dramatic sigh) Whatever; I still don't get it.

Flash forward to today:

Her:  Mom.  Something doesn't look right
Crap. I've heard these words before.  I go over to inspect the bowl.
Me: Did you follow the directions?
Her: (heavy sigh) Yes, right here on the box. (points at the recipe)
That's right folks, we are using a Krusteaz box of pancakes and the child still doesn't get it.  I'm thinking of plopping down my recipe for her to follow the next time she volunteers to make breakfast, IF, there is a next time.  That oughta really bring down the house.
Me:  So you put 1 cup of mix into the bowl?
Her:  Yes
Me:  And you added 3/4 cup of water to the mix?
Her:  (bigger, more dramatic, sigh) Yeuuuuhhhss! (points to the 2 cup measuring cup).
Me:  Right here where it says 1 and 3/4?
Her:  (Glances to the dining room as something of obvious interest has suddenly diverted her attention from the conversation at hand)
Me:  Ahem?
Her:  Oooohh, yyyyyeah.  Well, I didn't know.  Nobody told me there was more than one mark for 3/4ths on the cup.
Me: (dramatic sigh) Yes.  One would be the 3/4 cup and the one higher up would be going over the 1 cup mark, incrementally all the way up to the 2 cup mark.  (me pointing)  See, there?  (heavy sigh) Just add more mix.
Her:  Oooh, I get it!  Man, we're gonna have a lot of pancakes.
Me: Yeah.

I wonder where she gets her dramatics from
P.S.:  Her cat, Louise, who follows her wherever she goes, was at her feet, meowing, as she cooked and I heard her say to the cat, "you can't handle these pancakes."  Ahhhh hah hahhahahaaa.  I love my girl...so glad she's back from her week long visit to B.B.'s.

Here's my pancake recipe just in case you don't want to go the box-mix route.

PANCAKES
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
2 tbsp. lemon juice (freshly squeezed preferably)
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. sugar
½ tsp. soda
3 cups flour

Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl. Combine tablespoons lemon juice to milk and add to beaten eggs. Combine the remaining ingredients and mix until slightly lumpy.

No comments: