Monday, October 25, 2010

A little bit of this, a little bit of that

When it comes to food, I must say that I truly want something healthy to nourish my family.  Mostly.  I've jumped on the organic bandwagon (when I can find it available since there's not a huge market for it in my community) and I've thrown out all the scratched up Teflon pans since those can be cancer inducing...egads!  But! I'm not one to stand on a soapbox to tell you this is the only way to go and while your at it, cut the gluten, and the carbs, and hold the mayo.  It's trendy, I know, but do what you will.  You'll be hard pressed to see me pass up a celery stick stuffed with that yellow goo called processed cheese and I'll be the first in line to down a cola any day in the summer.  I pass no judgement.  Except, let me ask you this (since I read a blog this ayem and was a little thrown),  if you were to bother to jump on the gluten free, all organic, lactose free, bandwagon, only to cook it up with a dose of the chemically laden nonstick spray,wouldn't you be defeating your purpose?

 Well, maybe I need to read up on cooking spray a bit more before I make such a query.   For all intents and purposes, I like to use good old unsalted butter in a pan.  That's just me.  I did find this article on sprays and thought it was interesting, though.  How true it is, I'm not sure.  I'm set on looking for ants to test on AND I must say, the notion of spraying down my shower and shower curtain with PAM to avoid a buildup of soap scum just sounds like an accident waiting to happen.  Can  you just imagine? 

Me:  Oh, Oh, I'm slipping in the shower.  thought: Let me grab onto the shower curtain to catch my fall. 

Me:  Crap, I've fallen and I can't get up. thought: I knew better than to turn my shower into an oil slick.  I went down faster than a greased pig struck by lightin'!

Now that I've given you an amusing visual, Happy Monday, Y'all!

2 comments:

Ross4Teflon said...

I applaud the idea of creating a safer home, and because there's so much misinformation out there about Teflon, I'm not surprised that you are concerned. I'm a representative of DuPont though, and hope you'll let me share some information with you and your readers, so that everyone can make truly informed decisions.

In regards to PFOA and cancer - The weight of evidence gathered from a number of significant health studies continues to indicate to us that there is no health risk to the general public from exposure to PFOA. Additionally, no authoritative body has designated PFOA as a human carcinogen. The U.S. EPA stated that it is premature to conclude that PFOA causes cancer. For more information, please visit www.epa.gov/oppt/pfoa/pubs/pfoarisk.html. http://www.teflon.com/Teflon/teflonissafe and www.pfoa.dupont.com can provide you with additional information.

Thanks and I appreciate your consideration of this comment.

A Kitchen Witch said...

Sooo don't spend money on new Teflon pans? Dang, I should have kept my old scratched up ones instead of investing in a few new ones. Hmpff. And I would trust an "authoritative body" and any US governing body more if I could plainly see who was in their backpockets so that I could understand their sway clearly. For all intents and purposes, if I my paycheck depended on selling, then sell I would. Bravo for reaching the people. I'm sure you do not carry any biases in your statement, whatsoever.