Friday, January 21, 2011

As American as...Apple Pie? (Salsa Recipe)

What would it be like, coming to America for the first time?  I will never know that feeling.  My husband came to the states in 2005 and he remembers his arrival as if it were yesterday.  His mother will be visiting us through May beginning this Saturday.  Eek!  I hope her travels getting here are smooth and easy... I think I'm just as nervous and excited as I imagine her to be.

I've been trying to keep up with the housework despite the onslaught of assignments for this new semester.  I've been stocking up on groceries, but my attempts have been aimless.  All I can think to ask myself is, "What would you feed a person who's never been here?"  So...

What would you feed a person who has never been to America?

Some things have come to mind.  Apple pie...Hmm, what else is considered "American" cuisine?  Not a lot comes to mind.  I'm not even sure that apple pie is as "American" as we claim it to be.  The truth is most of our diet is borrowed from other countries.  Just as America is considered a melting pot, so is our cuisine.  What could I make that a European couldn't do better?  And, not just any European, a European who just so happens to be a fabulous cook.  This woman not only knows how to whip up some fantastic meals, she knows how to grow the grains, fruits, & vegetables, and raise the animal to create it.  THIS. WOMAN. IS. AWESOME. 

I'm shaking in my boots, here, and it's not because of the weather, folks.  If you have any ideas on what I should prepare over the course of the following months, feel free to share.  I can't have this woman going home thinking that I'm feeding her only son and grandchild the typical "ugly American" fare. 

Since she is arriving in the very near future, I will be "borrowing" from our southern "neighbors", Mexico.  South Texas does put out some fab. Tex-Mex and I guess that's as authentic as it's gonna get in my home on Sunday.  I'm thinking Fajitas, Rice, Beans, Guacamole, Tortillas, Salsa...  I'll post pics to show how that went.  This is the type of food we often make when we have company.  It's familiar so it shouldn't be too difficult to pull of.  In fact, since I make this type of food often, I've thought of sharing recipes on this blog.  The trouble is, it's hard to put this kind of cooking into words.  It's a cook by taste type of thing.  How could I explain how to prepare pinto beans when I've never followed a recipe myself?  I've always just added a little of this, and "ooh, wouldn't it taste good if I added a little of that!"  Maybe one day, I'll attempt to put it all into words.  In the mean time, I'll share a recipe that I'm more sure of and that I'll be using over the weekend.

Easy Salsa
1 (14.5 oz.) can mild Ro-tel tomatoes
1 can whole peeled tomatoes
1 tbsp + 1 tsp. canned diced jalapenos
¼ cup yellow onion, finely diced
½-¾ tsp. garlic salt
½ tsp. cumin
¼ tsp. sugar
salt to taste

Combine all ingredients in a blender and pour into a medium size sauce pan. Bring to boil and turn heat off. Serve warm with corn tortilla chips. Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.

2 comments:

Marguerite said...

Just make some good old Cajun recipes! Guaranteed to please! Have a great weekend!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I am making this! I have all of the ingredients on hand (except my jalapenos are fresh -- I grew them) and we just brought home a big bag of locally made chips that are heaven and begging for salsa.