Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fried Okra among other things

I began the night's dinner without any real plan.  I had a pack of Babyback Ribs that I'd given the rub and a bushel of sweet potatoes that I'd pricked to bake, but I needed something else...something green....something yummy.  In the midst of my thoughts, a  childhood memory if fried okra came to mind and I knew that's what I had to make.  It's been a long time since I've had fried okra and I don't know if I've ever prepared it myself...maybe once a long time ago. 

After looking to my idol, Paula Deen, I realized that my buttermilk had gone bad and I wasn't sure of whatelse to use.  I read another recipe that called for milk or cream and I figured that was something I could swing.  To make Fried Okra went a little something like this:

Fried Okra
1/2 Cup Yellow Cornmeal
1 Cup Flour
1  tsp. Salt
1/2 Tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. Cajun Seasoning
Milk to dip okra in before dredging in Cornmeal mixture.
Vegetable Oil to fry okra in ( I fill pan knuckle deep w/oil..maybe a tad more)

Line a cookie sheet with paper towels to drain okra.  Heat oil and begin to dunk okra in milk and dredge through flour. 

You will have to work in batches.

Here's my pics.

No comments: