Sunday, May 29, 2011

Memorial Day

 For the times...
 photo credit
when families grew Victory Gardens,
 Photo Credit
 and rationed,
African-American and white soldiers during World War II.
  Photo Credit: African-American and white soldiers during World War II, March 1, 1945

 
WASPs (Women Airforce Service Pilots)
Photo Credit: National Archives. U.S. Airforce photo - public domain
and ALL Americans went to war, even the women...




















Thank you for your service to the people of the United States of America.

2 comments:

GardenOfDaisies said...

Pictures tell the tale with no words... I have old photos of my Dad and his family planting their victory garden. (My Dad was still in high school at the time. He did his 2 year stint in the Army later, during the Korean war, but his unit was not sent into battle.) My Grandmother (on my Mom's side) went to work in the navy shipyards during world war ll. She was a real life "Rosie the Riveter". Hope you are enjoying your Memorial Day weekend!

Scribbler said...

Thank you so much for your comment on Michael Lee West's blog post today about GENEVA. Most of us who grew up in the Deep South remember eating the same kinds of food, I think. Nothing I make ever tastes as good as my mother's, and I don't think that is just an idealized memory. I enjoyed looking back through your blog, and I liked seeing what you cook. This post in particular brought back a lot of nostalgia with the vintage images.