Friday, July 29, 2011

Paranoia Sets In

LeapFrog My Puppy Pal - Violet -  LeapFrog - Toys"R"Us
Image courtesy




  Maybe it's because I've been reading too much...had too much time on my hands, but for whatever reason paranoia has set in.  See that innocent looking toy above?  We bought that, my husband and I, for our baby's first Christmas.  It was suggested by my cousin and his wife who also have a baby that loves the "boy version" of this dog very much.  The thing, like most toys, operates on batteries.  Unlike most toys, you can plug it into your computer much like an Ipod and sinc your baby's personal settings to it.  Upon accessing the company website, you "login" and commence to "programming" the toy to say your child's name, play their favorite tunes, say their favorite color, food, etc.  It incorporates this info. into funny little raps and other songs.

It's got me thinking.  Somewhere out there someone knows these things about my child.  By linking our email address to the toy, does it know where it resides?  Is there some sort of tracking device on the chip?  I mean, it can learn your name.  What else can it do?!

I know.  I know.  Watching too much TV and spy movies has done this to me.  Despite that knowledge, I've removed the batteries and our online account.

And for the record.  I don't own any apps nor do I have internet on my cellphone.  Again, I know.  I think I'm on the computer too damn much as it is so don't need to take it with me everywhere I go, but I think we're barreling full speed ahead with something that is still greatly unknown.  I don't know any friends that have antivirus for their phones, but they all use them just as they would their home computers.  I don't think it's a good idea to access bank accounts, etc. from such devices.  Just call me paranoid.

AND P.S. If you stare at that dog long enough, does it give you the creeps?

6 comments:

Lynn said...

Cue the music... Big Brother is watching! I get freaked out by the way the ads change on my computer simply by what I'm typing an e-mail about... more to think about:@)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you completely,, friends of ours were hacked by the thief accessing from their phone,, imagine,, very scary!!I agree we should all be computer pros to understand all we do,, not blundering idiots like me,, I use the computer for nothing but my blog and browsing,,I'm a slow learner but I know my limitations and tech crap is one of them,

GardenOfDaisies said...

I know.. I wonder about all this info that is out there on all of us. Even through these blogs.

Mrs BC said...

I don't use my phone for the internet either, for the same reasons as you've outlined. Identity theft is real, we are just being sensible, not paranoid, right??
xx
btw if you find that dog late at night holding a steakknife you should kill it with fire. Don't hesitate.

Stephen said...

If you ship me the toy I'll use it as a target on my next range day...watch it at night, I hear they stroll the hallways.
I agree on the cellphone, btw, never ever access bank accounts with them. My Blackberry watches me...

A Kitchen Witch said...

I love it! Thanks, guys! Y'all crack me up!