Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

Who says you can't have chocolate for breakfast?

Last night I got in one of my funky baking spells (the kind that starts somewhere around 11pm) so I'm up in the wee hours of the morn waiting for the magic that's happening in my oven.  The smell of chocolate baking is marvelous.

I have to give credit for the inspiration to bake this to my friend Stephanie who made it the other day and sent pics.  Those pics taunted me.  She sent the link for the recipe which is from the Joy of Baking.

It was simple enough to put together.  As I was grating the zucchinis, it occurred to me that I've never made any sort of zucchini bread...had slices from other sweet cooks from time to time, but never baked it.  Since my friend declared this recipe "da bomb", I figure I'll share.


Image courtesy

Chocolate Zucchini Bread:

1 1/2 cups shredded raw zucchini (about 1/2 pound or 227 grams)
1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (45 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (not Dutch-processed)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 cup (120 ml) safflower or canola oil
1/2 cup (100 grams) granulated white sugar
1/2 cup (105 grams) light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup (125 grams) semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in the center of the oven. Grease or spray a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan.  Set aside


Grate the zucchini using a medium sized grater.  Set aside.


In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, salt, ground cinnamon, and ground allspice.  Set aside.


In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the oil, sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended (about 2 minutes). Fold in the grated zucchini.Add the flour mixture, beating just until combined. Then fold in the chocolate chips.  Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake until the bread has risen and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 55-65 minutes.  Place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove the bread from the pan and cool completely.


Makes one - 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf.

Sharing @ 

3 comments:

Erica (Irene) said...

This looks real delicious.....I must try this recipe. I made a Zucchini chocolate streusel cake, it's on my blog today. Love your Blog, I'm now a follower.
erica-sweetonyou.blogspot.com

GardenOfDaisies said...

Zucchini makes everything so moist and yummy! The Hawaiian party for your daughter sound fun!

Unknown said...

Hi there fellow Texas Blogger! I found you over on Happier than a Pig in Mud blog and had to pop in since you said you were in South Texas. I'm in Houston but grew up in Lake Jackson, TX. I've added myself as your newest follower and hope you pop in to see me sometime. You've got a great blog! Stay cool!