Monday, September 19, 2011

Greens

When it comes to greens, I mostly cook them the same way.  This recipe is for collard greens, but feel free to try it out with turnip or mustard greens if you like.

1 large bunch of greens
1 link of sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt, Pepper, Garlic powder, onion powder, and Tabasco to taste

When making greens, I think it's necessary to soak them in a sink full of water so that any sand or grit is rinsed off and settled to the bottom of the sink instead of in your pot.

While the greens are soaking, I rough chop a medium onion and slice up a link or two of sausage (depending on the size of the link).  You may use bacon or ham hocks or any other meat that you prefer to flavor the broth, but, to me, you must use some sort of meat for flavor (apologies to my vegetarian friends).

Saute the meat and onion in a large pot with some bacon drippings.  Once onion begins to go soft.  Add a clove or two of minced garlic. Saute for one minute.  Turn heat to low.

Strain and rough chop greens removing stems if you like.  Add 6 cups of water along with greens to pot.  Add salt, pepper, and Tabasco to taste (or whatever favorite pepper sauce you like).  Simmer on low heat, covered, for an hour.

Adjust seasonings as needed and serve.

3 comments:

Lynn said...

This sounds good, I really don't make greens (except maybe on New Year's Day). I think I'd like to more often:@)

Sherri B. said...

My hubby is from the South and would love it if I made a batch of this, thanks!

A Kitchen Witch said...

@ Happier...I think you better ; )

@ Sherri- I hope your hubs loves 'em if you do try them out.

Thanks for stopping by!