Monday, January 23, 2012

Bon Ton's Bread Pudding


When I'm looking for great Creole and Cajun recipes, I often turn to Louisiana's newspapers.  This bread pudding recipe was found in New Orleans' own, Times Picayune.  If you search the Times Picayune and recipes, you will find a wealth of recipes on the web.  Without further ado~

The Bon Ton's Bread Pudding
1 loaf French bread
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 quart milk
3 tablespoons oleo (margarine) I used unsalted butter 
3 eggs
1 cup raisins, I used golden raisins
2 cups sugar

Soak bread in milk; crush with hands till well mixed. Then add eggs, sugar, vanilla and raisins and stir well. Pour oleo in bottom of thick pan and bake till very firm. (NOTE: The original recipe has no baking time or temperature; readers say to bake it at 350 degrees for 1 hour.)

Let cool; then cube pudding and put in individual dessert dish; when ready to serve, add sauce and heat under broiler. Serve with whiskey sauce.

WHISKEY SAUCE

1 stick butter or oleo
1 cup sugar (I used brown sugar since I was using Rum)
1 egg
Whiskey to taste (or Rum-I used dark rum this go round)

(Note: Original recipe says "cream sugar." Mix the butter and sugar until creamy.) Cook sugar and butter in double boiler till very hot and well dissolved. Then add well-beaten egg and whip real fast so egg doesn't curdle. Let cool and add whiskey to taste.

recipe courtesy of the Times Picayune.

Sharing @  Ms. enPlace and 

5 comments:

Lynn said...

Sounds great, I haven't had bread pudding in years:@)

Michelle B said...

Now you know I love this, right? Yum! Love Times Picayune recipe too. Thanks for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo.

A Kitchen Witch said...

@ Happier...I hope you will have some, then, very soon!

@ MM...You know I made this one just for your gumbo pages! ; )

Michelle B said...

Thanks! It's perfect.

Michelle B said...

This was one of the most-viewed recipes. It's featured at this week's See Ya In the Gumbo.