Monday, July 2, 2012

Peach Blueberry Upside Down Cake

Mrs. Crocker, you've done it again.  I'm in supreme bliss due in part to this Betty Crocker recipe I found online.    I'd purchased blueberries from my local grocery at a bargain and I was given two buckets of peaches that came from my Mom's trees; lucky me!  I thought for days about what to do with my bounty, jams or jellies, cobblers, crisps or crumbles?

While I sat, undecided, my peaches were ripening.  I admit, I almost waited too long.  Then I found this link for freezing fresh peaches, which is what I did, and bought myself more decision making time.

Alas, the skies parted (literally) and the rain came down...and I found myself in the mood for comfort food.  What's more comforting than an upside down cake?

So here we go-




Topping
2 Tbsp. Butter (I used unsalted butter)
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp. orange peel (I skipped this ingredient)
2 cups frozen peach slices, thawed and patted dry
1/2 cup fresh blueberries, washed and patted dry

Cake
1 cup All Purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 egg whites or 1/3 cup egg whites from a  carton
2 Tbsp. applesauce
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup skim milk

Garnish
1/2 cup whipped topping (the recipe calls for frozen, but I make mine from freshly whipped heavy cream sweetened with powdered sugar)


  • 1Heat oven to 350°F. Place 2 tablespoons butter in 9-inch round cake pan; heat in oven until butter is melted. Sprinkle brown sugar and orange peel over melted butter. Arrange peaches over top; sprinkle with blueberries.
  • 2In small bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
  • 3In medium bowl, beat 3 tablespoons butter and the granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in egg whites, applesauce and vanilla until smooth. Alternately add flour mixture and milk in 2 additions. Spoon batter over fruit mixture in pan; spread evenly.
  • 4Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes. Turn cake upside down onto heatproof serving plate. Serve warm with whipped topping.
Recipe courtesy of Betty Crocker

As you can see from my image, the cake doesn't rise much, but the taste is nice.  I may have to play with the recipe a bit further...possibly substitute the cake recipe I use for Pineapple Upside Down Cake which rises nicely.


Sharing at  Ms. enPlace  & at A Slice of Southern's Southern Sundays

5 comments:

Flier389 said...

I can see blueberry pie. And peach pie. But, mixing the two together? My wife once made me a blueberry pie. She didn't have enough blueberry's, so she added a can of pineapple. One bite, and she had to give the rest of the pie away. LOL! This is something I might have to try.

Michelle B said...

Peaches and blueberries sound great together! You made me smile when I read how you bought some time freezing the peaches. I've saved a lot of ingredients from the garbage that way! Thank you for linking up. Have a nice 4th!

Slice of Southern said...

Mmmm Mmmmm good!Thanks for sharing such a great recipe on Southern Sundays. Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Anne said...

This sounds delicious! We LOVE the pineapple "version" but have talked about trying some other types of fruits, too. LOVE the peaches and blueberries idea.

Michelle B said...

As one of the top-viewed links form last week's See Ya In the Gumbo, your cake is being featured this week!