Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Roasted Herb Chicken and Potatoes

Here's a tasty recipe I procured from the web.  It's not often that we purchase a whole bird so I was at a loss as to where to begin in preparing it.  Luckily, the recipe I found was a keeper.  

Ingredients
1-1/2 lbs. baking potatoes (I used red potatoes)
1 large onion, thinly sliced (I chopped my onion-force of habit)
1/3 cup soy sauce
3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, pressed (since I don't have a press, I mash mine on the cutting board and mince)
1 tsp. dried oregano leaves, crumbled
1 tsp. dried rosemary, crumbled (I used thyme since I was out of rosemary)
3/4 tsp. black pepper
1 (4 lb.) whole chicken

Directions
Wash and cut each potato in half, then slice each half crosswise in 1/2 inch thick slices.  Place with onion in  a shallow foil-lined baking pan.  Combine next seven ingredients and drizzle one tablespoon of mixture over potato mixture, tossing until evenly coated.

Discard giblets and neck from chicken (good to freeze for later use).  Rinse chicken under cold running water; drain and pat dry.  Place chicken, breast side up, in center of the pan, moving potatoes aside.  I placed a wire rack over my vegetables and place my chicken on top of it so that it was slightly elevated above vegetables.  Brush chicken, including cavity, thoroughly with soy mixture.

Roast in 375 degree F oven for about an hour and fifteen minutes, brushing with soy mixture every thirty minutes.  Stir vegetables every thirty minutes so that they roast on all sides.  I believe I cooked mine for an additional fifteen minutes, until the juices ran clear.  A meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part, and not touching bone, should read 180 degrees F.  Remove from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
**Recipe courtesy Kikkoman International.

We served grilled asparagus alongside our chicken dinner.  This was a yummy dinner, the vegetables absorbed the flavors wonderfully and had a nice flavor.  I will try this marinade with boneless, skinless chicken breast next time since I'm not the biggest fan of skin-on chicken.

1 comment:

Lynn said...

This sounds great! Every once in a while I'd bake a chicken and potatoes together, the potatoes ended up with a lot of good flavor:@)